Each of our therapists brings a different set of skills and approaches to therapy. We integrate the approaches and use what is best suited for each person.
Dialectical Behavioral Therapy
Dialectical Behavioral Therapy can be used to identify and change negative thinking patterns and unwanted behaviours. DBT can also be used to treat suicidal and self-destructive behaviors.
What can DBT Treat?
DBT was originally designed to treat people with suicidal behavior and Borderline Personality Disorder. However, it has been adapted more broadly for issues that impact a person’s relationships, wellbeing and work functioning.
Potential positive impacts of DBT can include:
• decreased frequency and severity for suicidal behavior
• lower anger
• improved social abilities
What is DBT?
DBT focuses on 4 Primary Skills
• Distress Tolerance: Feeling intense emotions such as anger without reacting impulsively
• Emotion Regulation: Recognizing, labeling, and changing emotions.
• Mindfulness: Becoming more aware of self and others in the present moment.
• Interpersonal Effectiveness: Navigating conflict and interacting assertively.
• 1. Treat the most self-destructive behavior first, such as suicidal behaviour.
• 2. Focus on developing quality of life skills
• 3. Focus on improving self-esteem and key relationships.
• 4. Promote positivity and the importance of on-going relationship connections.
You can find out more about DBT on:
We welcome you to call or email us to ask more questions or to book an initial appointment with one of our therapists who practice DBT.
356 Woodroffe Ave., Entrance G/H, Suite 201, Ottawa, ON, K2A 3V6
Copyright © 2021 All rights reserved, SEO Ottawa - Soap Media Inc